Sunday, July 8, 2012

Pastry Cloth

"What IS it?" someone asked, as I lifted this piece of cloth from a pile of linens at an estate sale last winter.


I knew exactly what it was:  my grandmother would have called it a pastry cloth (or pastry frame).  Whatever its proper name is, it has concentric circles in the middle and a ruler printed on the bottom edge.  You use it to roll out pie crusts or homemade noodles, and you don't have to guess if you're making the right size to fit in a given container.  This was one I had to bring home with me -- not only is it a retro classic, but it's functional (given how much I like to bake).

Of course when I spread it out to take some pictures, someone else discovered its other purpose:


If you leave it lying around, it functions as a Cat Magnet.

Fortunately, the pastry cloth is washable.  This morning I used it to measure the dough for scones:


(No cats were present during the creation of this breakfast item.)  I used my own variation on a recipe from a cookbook my friend Vickie sent me, many years ago, from the good folks at King Arthur Flour.  You can see their basic recipe here:

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/classic-scones-recipe

And if you prefer a gluten-free scone, the recipe is here:

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/gluten-free-scones-recipe


Bon appetit, y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment