Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Fancywork

Older generations spent their time differently than many of us do today.  They took time to read, to cook, to write, to create.  This is evident in the items I see at almost every estate sale I attend:

* Back issues of National Geographic and Arizona Highways magazines

* Pyrex bowls and casserole dishes

* A drawer, a box, a glass jar full of pens and pencils

* Free notecards sent by Paralyzed Veterans of America (hey, they were free)

* A sewing machine

* Hardcover books

* Embroidery, usually on pillowcases, tablecloths and tea towels

Some of the embroidered items are beautifully done.  I thought I would share some of them with you.



The Southern Belle is a recurring theme in pillowcase art




She also appears on slipcovers and sometimes in wall hangings







Floral motifs were also popular, both small...

...and large.
But I don't think I've ever seen any embroidery as cute as the kittens on this tea towel:






No comments:

Post a Comment