Thursday, May 30, 2013

War Diary Update

Last September and October, I wrote two blog posts about a World War I soldier's diary I found at an estate sale (for a dollar). 

Yesterday I donated the diary and the photograph that came with it, to the Center for American War Letters at Chapman University in Orange, California.  They will find a home with the more than 90,000 war letters and diaries already in the collection.

Somewhere in this photo may be Andrew Brennan, the soldier who kept the diary in 1917.


Brennan's memory couldn't be with nicer, more dedicated educators than the people at Chapman.  (Some of my readers may remember that Chapman University is also the location of the complete archives of California public television icon Huell Howser.)

Andrew Carroll, the man who began collecting the American war letters several years ago, has written several best-selling books on the subject.  Here's his website:

http://www.warletters.com/

And here's a news story on the Center:

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/dec/24/local/la-me-letters-20121225

No comments:

Post a Comment