Saturday, July 5, 2014

Harry Doehla Company Greeting Cards

Occasionally I find something at one estate sale that is related to something I find at another sale.

Such was the case with the Cute Kitten get-well card.



I bought it, along with several dozen other used 1950s greeting cards, at one estate sale.  When I got it home and looked at the image, I thought, "Where have I seen that design before?"  After a moment's reflection, I got out the small stack of 1954 copy of Boys' Life magazines I'd picked up at another and flipped through them.

Bingo.



The kitten card was in an ad exhorting the young readers to sell greeting cards for fun and profit.



The ad was for the Harry Doehla Company of Nashua, New Hampshire.  I'd heard of that somewhere before.... I then retrieved a "salesman's sample" book of old greeting cards that I'd found at another estate sale and, bingo again, the book held cards by the same company, Harry Doehla.



This collection of Christmas cards was even endorsed by Art Linkletter.


Inside the album were samples of Christmas card designs that the buyer could have pre-printed with their name, saving time and adding a certain style to the greeting.






Harry Doehla's business was one of several greeting card companies operating during the 1930s through 1960s that had teenagers and adults sell their wares to family, friends, club members, congregation members and anyone else who might need to send a greeting to another person.  

Doehla was an unexpected American entrepreneur.  An illness left him in a wheelchair at age 18.  With his parents' help, Doehla invested in greeting cards that other people would sell, and he was a millionaire by age 32.  His company operated nationwide.



Another blogger has chronicled the history of the Harry Doehla Company:

http://vintagerecycling.blogspot.com/2013/08/doehla-greeting-cards-inc.html

And here's a 1962 newspaper article on the company:  http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2209&dat=19620630&id=xrUrAAAAIBAJ&sjid=1v4FAAAAIBAJ&pg=5126,5946058


9 comments:

  1. Harry Doehla was my Uncle. He was married to Ann, nee Mayer, from Bayreuth Germany. They lived in New York's Hampshire House at Central Park.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He was my uncle too. He had houses in Miami Beach as well and would always stop by the house. His pilot gave me my seaplane rating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Digging thru a box of old family stuff, i found a spiral bound Christmas book: "Santa Claus in Toyland" by Harry Doehla Co., 1951. It was interactive, with pull tabs etc. I spent many wonderful hours with for several years it as a child.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful to hear everyone's comments, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How nice it is to find info about Doehla greeting cards. When I was a teenager, I was given a set that was bought at a sale. They each had a lovely young lady on them along with an embellished object in the print. Ex: the one I am holding now, has a girl dusting a small table. The feather duster used to have either a few strands of yarn, or a real piece of a feather attached. My memory fails to recall which. Through the years I have given the cards away to friends who appreciate the sweet value. I am presently repairing this Thank You card with a feather, to send to a dear friend. I wish I could add a picture to my reply.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I worked for Doehla greeting cards on the assembly line in Nashua NH when I was 15. It was my first job and possibly the last one I enjoyed lol. I remember working for $3.10 and being so excited when minimum wage increased to $3.15. I met some life long friends there, it was a much better time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found a Christmas "greeting" winking Santa Doehla card or maybe a bag (?) With a tiny calendar from 1946 on the front. #513 It looks like there's something printed on the inside from 11 cor. 13:11 on the inside. I can't figure it out. Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Second Corinthians 13:11 says, "Finally, brethren, farewell. Be perfect, be of good comfort, be of one mind, live in peace; and the God of love and peace shall be with you."

      The implication of "perfect" in that sort of archaic language is "mature."

      Or, as "The Message" Bible paraphrase puts it, "And that’s about it, friends. Be cheerful. Keep things in good repair. Keep your spirits up. Think in harmony. Be agreeable. Do all that, and the God of love and peace will be with you for sure. Greet one another with a holy embrace. All the brothers and sisters here say hello."

      Delete